Admin

Recent News

Yeeee Haaaaa!!
Western Day will be on April 6th!






Upcoming Events

About US

J. C. Rugel
The original Rugel Elementary School was built as a six-classroom structure in 1965. In 1967 and 1977, additions were made to the building. The school was named for Mr. Joseph Columbus Rugel. J.C. Rugel was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee, on March 19, 1853. Mr. Rugel moved to Texas in 1873 and settled in Mesquite in 1874. He taught in the first school in Mesquite, which was a one-room log cabin. Several years later, he entered business with the late Thomas F. Nash establishing a hardware store in Mesquite known as Nash & Rugel. Mr. Rugel also held a variety of elected offices. He served as a state legislator from 1886 to 1888, mayor of Mesquite, Justice of the Peace, and as president of the Mesquite School Board. Mr. Rugel died on January 29, 1929.